I am part of a family of six who followed God's call to live on a ship, the Africa Mercy, in order to bring hope and healing to the poor of West Africa. Living here has shaped my character and strengthened my relationship with the LORD. Although my life journey has included excitement, adventure, frustration, monotony, joy, heartache, craziness,mercy, fun, pain, hope, and many other highs and lows, God has always come through for me in the little things and the big things. As I continue serving Jesus I invite you to join me, support me in prayer, and catch up on what is happening in my life from time to time.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Land Ho!

On Thursday night we arrived in Gran Canaria. We were very excited to see a developed country after ten months in West Africa and about five days at sea. The first thing my family did when we got off ship was go to Mc Donald's. For the past few days we have been walking in town, going to parks, and shopping. The Canary Islands are a great place for the crew to rest and refuel in preparation for the next field service.


The view of Gran Canaria as we pulled in
A Mercy Ships family waving Spanish flags

Eli and Malachi enjoying Mc Donald's

Malachi being silly

Us kids standing on a balcony at the mall

Xavier playing at a park

Two events that have impacted our stay in Gran Canaria are the dangerous shipyard and the other ship tied alongside us. As you can see in the picture, the dock is not a safe place. There are a lot of machines that work there. Because of this, children are not allowed to walk through the shipyard. We have to drive out of the port in a land rover and then walk once we are outside the gates. This makes going off ship a little more complicated for families. Also, and old ship has been moored alongside the Africa Mercy. This has not mattered to me so far, but it made extra work for the captain and deck crew.




Our dock
The ship that is alongside us


These slight challenges have not lessened my gladness -almost awe- at being in a first-world country again. There are crosswalks, public trash cans, clean streets, beautiful fountains and flowerbeds, and many other small things that many people take for granted, but I know are amazing luxuries that make life more enjoyable and safe. Next time you take a walk or go for a drive, remember to thank God for all the little blessings you see on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment