I am part of a family of six who followed God's call to live on a ship, the Africa Mercy, in order to bring hope and healing to the poor of West Africa. Living here has shaped my character and strengthened my relationship with the LORD. Although my life journey has included excitement, adventure, frustration, monotony, joy, heartache, craziness,mercy, fun, pain, hope, and many other highs and lows, God has always come through for me in the little things and the big things. As I continue serving Jesus I invite you to join me, support me in prayer, and catch up on what is happening in my life from time to time.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

2012 Women's Retreat

This weekend my mom and I went on our yearly women's retreat with seven other ladies from the ship. We left on Saturday morning  for the island of Roma and were back on the Africa Mercy around 5:00 on Sunday evening. We took a local motor canoe to the island and stayed at a guest house called Villa Elijah. The family that owned it had one large bedroom to themselves. For us, there were two rooms with large bunk beds that could fit two people on the top and two on the bottom. There was also a room with one double bed. Our evening meal consisted of fresh grilled fish, french fries, fried banannas, and a tomato and onion sauce. Most of our time on the island was spent hiking, relaxing, reading, and swimming at the beach.

We had many adventures while we stayed overnight at Villa Elijah. The shower room had a bucket of water and a small plastic jug, which you used to pour the water over yourself. The toilet was an Asian style porcelain "squatty potty." However, these rooms were reasonably clean and covered in white tiles. It was difficult to sleep at night. The wooden bunk beds shook whenever any of the four occupants moved or rolled over. It was so hot that we were completely saturated with sweat, so no one used blankets and we wore as little clothing as appropriate. There were plenty of creepy crawlies as well, such as a large spider in the bathroom, a dead shrimp in the shower water bucket, and a scorpion that had decided to nest in my pants (the pair that I was not wearing at the time).

Getting out of the canoe on the way back from the island was also an adventure. There was a crowd of people waiting on the little pier to board the canoe, and each person was afraid that there would be no space for himself. So, the people swiftly boarded the boat before we even had a chance to gather our belongings and get off. The weight of all the people caused the boat to tilt precariously to one side and swing away from the pier. I had to put on my backpack quickly and jump the gap onto the dock.

In spite of, and possibly because of, these minor difficulties, we all had fun and were glad that we had come to the island. I took some pictures of our trip, but unfortunately I have none of the beach. I hope you enjoy looking through my photos nonetheless.

 The Canoe Ride

One of the many wrecks we saw on the sail to the island


The coastline of one island with another island in the background

My mom  with one of the other women in the canoe


The front of the canoe facing an island


A costal village on an island

A rusting wreck on the shore



A close-up of the previous village


A quarry on one side of an island


Some of the ladies sitting in the boat


Our canoe drivers


Two of the women that accompanied us sitting in the canoe




The front of the canoe
The Hike


A wrecked lifeboat on the rocks


Some of the women and I sitting on a heart-shaped rock


One of the women on a rock near the sea




The jungle along the rocky coastline

More jungle



Everyone but me sitting on some rocks near the forest


Jungle again



And... more jungle
The View from Villa Elijah's Front Porch


Banannas growing
 
View through the porch railing


And again...


Ocean just below the porch


A tree near the porch and a view of the other side of the island




No comments:

Post a Comment