I am part of a family of six who followed God's call to live on a ship, the Africa Mercy, in order to bring hope and healing to the poor of West Africa. Living here has shaped my character and strengthened my relationship with the LORD. Although my life journey has included excitement, adventure, frustration, monotony, joy, heartache, craziness,mercy, fun, pain, hope, and many other highs and lows, God has always come through for me in the little things and the big things. As I continue serving Jesus I invite you to join me, support me in prayer, and catch up on what is happening in my life from time to time.

Monday, September 9, 2013

French Dinner Parties

This weekend I went with my host family to a birthday party for my host mom's father. It was the third or fourth dinner party I have been to here in France, so I thought I could tell you about these French celebrations.

Around 2:00, you arrive and kiss everyone, once on each cheek (actually, it's more like touching cheeks and kissing the air). Then the children eat a quick meal and go outside to play. The adults sit down and talk while having small snacks like nuts, pieces of cheese, and sausage slices. Each person also drinks two glasses of Champaign. After two hours everyone sits down at the table and eats the appetizers. Adults drink two glasses of white wine. Then you talk some more. The main course comes out and you eat. The adults have a glass of red wine. Then there is a break, where you sit and talk or take a walk outside. Next there is cheese and bread. The adults have another glass of red wine. Then there is chocolates and coffee or tea. Finally, there are desserts like strawberry tarts, crème pies, and rhubarb pies with beer for the adults. When you leave around 9:00 or 10:00, you kiss everyone again. All in all, seven hours, five courses, and seven glasses of alcohol.

Two things that are strange for me here in France are the amount of alcohol consumed and the whole kissing thing. I have kissed a lot of strangers and acquaintances now, both male and female. At school, friends kiss each other on the cheek when they meet. It is hilarious to think how my friends at school on the ship would react if I kissed them, but here in France people are offended if you know them and don't kiss them. It is hard for me to adjust to this, but I have to just do it and remember that it is a different culture here.

No comments:

Post a Comment