I am part of a family of six who followed God's call to live on a ship, the Africa Mercy, in order to bring hope and healing to the poor of West Africa. Living here has shaped my character and strengthened my relationship with the LORD. Although my life journey has included excitement, adventure, frustration, monotony, joy, heartache, craziness,mercy, fun, pain, hope, and many other highs and lows, God has always come through for me in the little things and the big things. As I continue serving Jesus I invite you to join me, support me in prayer, and catch up on what is happening in my life from time to time.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

This Weekend...

...I went to a small fair in Lille. It was not very exciting, and everything was expensive. The only money I spent was 2 Euros for a bunch of churros. A lot of the food stands were advertised as American, and I even saw a statue of a giant hot dog wrapped in an American flag.

...I ate a very French meal. For Louise and Flavie's birthdays we had a small dinner party at our house (only four or five hours, not as long as the one I described before). The appetizers were bread with smoked salmon, garlic sausage, dried sausage, and bread with fish eggs. I ate everything but the fish eggs. The main course was salad with foie gras, chicken liver, and smoked dried duck. I tried everything, but I didn't really like the foie gras or chicken liver. The foie gras was very rich and had an almost nutty taste. The chicken liver tasted like chicken, but was more pungent in both taste and smell. I also tried a teeny sip of white wine. It was not too bad, but I'm sure it would be amazing to people who like wine. At least, I was told that it is a very good wine.

...We went to our town's "Fête du Sport." In the morning there was sports competitions, which I did not attend because I wanted to sleep in and get my homework done. In the afternoon, I went with my host family to a parking lot that had bouncy castles set up. I played a game with my host sisters where you are harnessed to elastic cords and you have to run against the cords and place a Velcro triangle as far away from the starting point as you can. Whoever puts their triangle the farthest wins. There was also an activity where everyone put tags with their names and phone numbers on balloons and released them into the air to see where they would end up. At the end of the afternoon there was a raffle, and we won a small poker set. I'm fairly certain that no one in my host family plays poker.

On a side note, French people having cheese and wine is not just a stereotype. So far every lunch or dinner party I have been to has included a discussion about and consumption of wine and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment